5 Ways to Boost Confidence in Math
As a middle school math teacher, one problem I have seen with many of my students is a lack of confidence. During the middle school years, very few students don't have confidence issues in one area or another, and it seems that most of them lack confidence in math. Of all the problems students have, this is one of my favorites to help them overcome. Lack of confidence is a fairly simple problem to tackle because generally the ability is there, we just have to convince them of that. So, here are 5 ways to boost confidence that I have found to be helpful with my students.
To Get A Free Report On
16 Proven Ways To Motivate Your Child To Do Better In School
Plus, receive a "Live Demonstration Inside Our Unique 1 On 1 Online Classroom."
1. Ask them step by step how to work the problem. When they come to you and say, "I don't get it" or "I don't know how to do this one." Ask the student what they think they should do first. Typically, they will give the right answer. After they get the first step, ask what the second step is. Before they know it, they will have solved the problem entirely on their own. After doing this a few times, their confidence will be improving dramatically.
2. Ask them to try the problem before you help them. More often than not, if they try the problem, they will either get it right, or just have made some small mistake somewhere. I will often not help my students at all until they have made some attempt to do it on their own. This helps me see where they are truly having problems, and boosts their confidence level at the same time. Students are usually frustrated with this at first, but once they start having success, the frustration is quickly gone.
3. Make sure they are prepared for tests. Students always feel more confident when they are prepared and then do well on a test. The night before an exam make sure that they have done review problems or answered questions that are similar or even more difficult than the ones that are going to be on the test. If they are comfortable with them at home, chances are they will think the test was easy and they will do well. Nothing boosts confidence like seeing A's on tests and report cards!
4. Practice, practice, practice. If your student is struggling, or feels like they are struggling, with a concept, keep practicing. After doing enough problems successfully, the confidence will follow. If the book doesn't have enough problems, ask their teacher for more that are similar, or search the internet for the topic they are studying. There are plenty of problems out there to keep practicing.
5. Have them teach someone else. If you know something well enough to teach someone else, then you have to have a pretty good grasp on the subject. So, pick a family member or a neighbor or even the family dog and have the student try to teach whatever they are working on. Trying to explain it to someone else not only improves their understanding of it, but also is great for their verbal skills and writing ability. It takes their knowledge to a whole new level.
I hope these ideas are helpful and can get your student's confidence level heading up in the right direction. Have patience. It will still take some time for things to completely turn around, but it can definitely happen.
Build Student Self Confidence With an Online Private Math Tutor
How to Find the Inverse of a Function
Does Your Child Need Help with Math?
5 Ways to Become a Better Math Student
6 Characteristics to Look For in a Math Tutor
30 Trusty Tips: Learn Math Skills to Improve Grades in School
4 Ways to Succeed With Story Problems
7 Steps NOW For Your Child To Get Good Math Grades Next School Year
Five Steps To Lift Your Child's Math Grades to A's
Math Anxiety Tips
Online Help with Geometry
Five Steps On How To Improve Your Child's Math Grades To A's
Eliminate Learning Loss with Fun Summer Math Activities
Tips for Parents: Helping Kids with Math Homework
Teaching Students Trigonometric Radians: Degrees to Radians and Back
Help with Math Equations: Using Letters in Math?
Tips, Tricks and Strategies: Help Solving Word Problems
Three Easy Ways to Help With Elementary Math
6 Word Problem Solving Strategies to Help Reduce Math Anxiety
Five Steps to Improve Mathematics Problem Solving Skills
Calvary Tutoring Services: Learn with an Online Mathematics Tutor
How to Easily and Simply Use Rules in Mathematics
Understanding the Ti 84 Solve Function
Six Strategies to Tackle Challenging Math Word Problems
Solve Compound Interest Problems using the Ti 84 Calculator
Algebra 1 Homework Help for Your Child
Learning about Fractions: Why Johnny (Jenny) Can't Do Fractions
Five Guaranteed Ways to Get an A in Math
Six Tips for Using a Graphing Calculator
Solving Real World Math Problems Using Rate, Time, and Distance
Never Too Young: How to Teach Algebra to Kids
Three Steps to Improve Math Grades
Math is Beautiful
Shattering Five Math Fear Myths
Learning Fractions is a Piece of Cake!
Math Tutor Help: Understanding YX OIC 2EZ
The Basics of Inductive vs. Deductive Reasoning
How to Achieve Successful Homework Completion by Overcoming Math Fear
Math Fear: Overcoming Test Anxiety
Calculator Use Tips: Four Reasons for Students to Use Calculators
Five Magical Strategies for Increasing Math Confidence
Teaching Number Sense to Your Children is Easy with Number Counting
Counting Change: A Fun and Useful Way to Improve Math Skills!
PEMDAS Problems: Easily Simplify Equations Using PEMDAS
Math from the Positive Side: Live Online Tutoring
Overcoming Anti-Math Bias
Correct Math Operations: Putting the Cart before the Horse
7 Advantages of Choosing Online Math Tutoring for Your Student
Math for Slow Learners
How to Multiply Faster Than a Calculator
Four Steps to Follow When Solving Math Word Problems
Online Tutoring in Mathematics: Get Your Child Excited About Math
6 Word Problem Strategies to Help Reduce Math Anxiety
The Five Fundamentals for Teaching Math
Simple Strategies That Can Help Your Child Become a Math Superstar
You Can Have the Michael Jordan of Online Math Tutors
The ABC’s of Learning X, Y and Z in Algebra
Effective Math Problem Solving Strategies
4 Fun Ways to Learn Multiplications Facts
Why Math is Important for Every Child to Learn
How to Improve Math Skills for Kids
8 Ways to Be Better at Math
How to Solve Math Word Problems: Tips for Reducing Word Problem Stress
New School Year Math Preparation
Conquering the Enemy: 7 Ways to Wipe Out Careless Math Errors on Tests
How to Excel in Math
Tips for Learning Math
Students Click Here
Free Report How To Start An Online Tutoring Business
Blueprint For Online Tutoring Success eBook
How To Start An Online Tutoring Business MP3 interview
Free Online Tutor Forum
Tutor and Grow Rich ebook
Free A+ Parenting Video Series & Handouts
Online Tutoring Service
Free Online Tutoring Demonstration
A+ Parenting DVD Collection
Discipline & Parenting Techniques
Health, Nutrition and Fitness
Learning Styles and Techniques
Managing an Online Tutoring Business
Motivating Your Child or Student
Online Tutoring Business Opportunities
Online Tutoring Defined
Test Preparation & Study Skills
Work From Home