By Colleen Palat
One of the perks of working as an online tutor is that it can be done from the comfort of your own home. You don’t have to get dressed up, the atmosphere is comfortable, and every convenience is at your fingertips. Working from home really is a great opportunity but with it comes some unique obstacles that most people don’t realize.
The most difficult aspect for most people working from home is getting things done. Let’s face it there can be some serious distractions! But with these helpful tips below, some planning and a lot of determination, you can keep your focus and your business booming!
* Start your day by clarifying your goals and what you want to accomplish for the day.
* Take a look at your goals list and come up with a general time line for completion.
* If you need to, set a timer or alarm to keep you on track with your tasks.
* Be flexible with your list of things to do. Sometimes things just take us longer to complete than what was anticipated. If that’s the case, then just go with it. While it’s good to identify your goals and set a very general time line, it’s also important to be flexible with yourself and the tasks at hand.
* When you complete a heavy task, give yourself a reward: 30 minutes of relaxing in front of the TV, take a walk, eat a snack, etc.
* Create a workspace that is friendly towards your work. Keep it tidy, organized, and interesting! You’re spending quite a bit of time there, so make it a place you don’t mind being at.
* Avoid distractions by eliminating the things that get you off track. Is the phone a problem? Then turn the ringer down. Are you distracted by the television? Then turn it off. Playing computer games? Change a setting on your computer so that you won’t be tempted to play. Outside noise a problem? Use earplugs.
* If you’re feeling some “cabin fever” from being cooped up all day, try getting out! With today’s technology you can take your laptop and cell phone, and hit the park or you’re nearest coffee shop. Sometimes getting out can help to re-invigorate you.
* Make yourself accountable to yourself! When you cut corners and slack, you’re really slacking on YOU.
* Feeling overwhelmed by your responsibilities? Ask for help. Hire someone to help you, or even incorporate your kids into your business. It’s a great way to teach them many wonderful character traits!