By Deborah Williams
Dr. Daniel Amen, director of Amen Clinics, a brain health practice, and his wife Tana have put together some videos on raising brain-healthy children through effective parenting. They recently posted on their blog the first of a video series on effective parenting. Part of their advice is a suggestion for how to eliminate homework struggles with your child.
Here are the basics of their effective parenting suggestions:
- Determine what kind of parent you want to be and what kind of child you want to raise.
- Do you want to solve all their problems? Do you plan to always rescue him or her?
- If you want independent children, Consider these two behaviors to achieve this:
- Teach independence by explaining the consequences of their choices and let them experience those consequences—good or bad.
- Let your child think for herself or himself.
- Eat dinner together every night.
- Read to your children.
View the first video about this important subject: